Tuesday 27 May 2008

THE LACK OF QUALITY FROM SAINSBURYS

For the past couple of years I have only been buying meat from proper butchers/farm shops, ever since I ordered some Jimmy's Farm bacon & couldn't believe the difference.

However, the other day, I was in Sainsbury's, it was getting on for teatime & I couldn't really be bothered lugging to grumpy children over to the butchers a couple of miles away, so I bought some Sainsbury's mince. It was their extra lean British beef mince, the one I used to buy previously & it was disgusting. Inedible really. I couldn't believe how crap the quality was - it's only mince for God's sake!

Please don't buy supermarket meat - find a nice friendly butcher (judge them by their sausages), it's so much tastier, you know where it's from & how it's reared & isn't really that much more expensive. If I can afford to switch, anyone can!

3 comments:

Tony Ruscoe said...

For me, it's not a question of price but more one of convenience. Unless you order online, it's not always easy to get to the butchers and farm shops when you're working full time. I wish more would open all day on Saturdays. Or even open, say, 10:00 'til 19:00 on at least one day.

When we had one round the corner from us, we'd go down on a Saturday morning (I think it closed at 13:00) only to find it had hardly anything other than sausages left, albeit very good sausages. Of course, it closed down last year, presumably because it couldn't continue to compete with the supermarkets...

Christian Briddon said...

I agree. Meat from the butchers is vastly superior to supermarket crap. It is amazing the difference even in the mince.

Unfortunately Tony you are experiencing the result of too many people using supermarkets. The better quality butchers can't compete on convenience.

Victoria said...

I hear you! I'm lucky not working & have the time to shop around. Also where we live - near the country - there are farm shops that open 7 days & even one that mum uses that you ring a bell when you go in & eventually an old woman comes to serve you!