Monday 11 August 2008

FORMULA FOOD - ROUND 11

HUNGARY = GOULASH

Yes, I know it's a week late - but we've been on holiday. Got back Friday, watched the race Friday night & had goulash Saturday night. I've been brought up on Delia Smith's goulash (a 70's thing I think!), so I ditched her recipe & found one on a Hungarian website - apart from that I didn't know where to find tinned chuck steak!!! - silly Delia!
Conclusion: Very tasty, I'd maybe use hot paprika next time instead of sweet (both smoked of course).
Would I make it again? Oh yes, a family classic!

Hungarian Goulash:
2 tbsp oil, 1 sliced onion, 2 crushed cloves garlic, 800g chuck steak, trimmed & cubed, 4 rashers of chopped smoked bacon, 200g sliced mushrooms, 400g tin tomatoes (or 6 fresh chopped toms), 1 green pepper sliced into rings, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp mixed herbs, 2 tbsp paprika, salt & pepper, 150ml sour cream & chopped parsley.

1. Preheat oven to gm2/150c. Heat oil in a casserole & lightly fry onions & garlic.

2. Add beef & bacon & brown.

3. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, green pepper, mixed herbs, bay, paprika & salt & pepper. Stir well & bring to slow boil.

4. Put a lid on casserole dish & place in oven for 2 hours, stirring a couple of times.

5. Season again, if you think it needs it & stir through the sour cream & parsley.

6. Serve with rice or potatoes & braised red cabbage.

No comments: