Tuesday 26 August 2008

FORMULA FOOD - ROUND 12

VALENCIA = CANALONS A LA BARCELONESA

Can you spot my mistake? Yes, my lack of research meant that I happily made Paella for the Barcelona Grand Prix - it's Spanish I thought. Well yes it is, but it originated in Valencia - you can only imagine how foolish I felt!! So here we have it, 2 Grand Prix's hosted in Spain, Barcelona with the national dish of Valencia & Valencia with the national dish of Barcelona - I can get over it & I'm sure you will too!! Anyway at least this little mix up added a bit excitement to the weekend, as the race sure as hell didn't provide any. Fortunately there had been a 3 week gap in races, so anything was better then nothing (only just though). Back to the cannelloni (apparently introduced to Barcelona from Italy in the 19th century).
Conclusion: Very good & different to the Italian version.
Would I make it again? I made double the quantity & put half in the freezer - a very good move!

Canalons a la Barcelonesa:
1/4 cup olive oil, 1 chopped onion, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 skinned & chopped tomato, 200g turkey mince, 200g pork mince, 200g veal mince, 3 chicken livers, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1 beaten egg, 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, salt & white pepper, cannelloni tubes (or 12 sheets of fresh lasagne - as I used).
For the bechamel:
2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour, 2 cups of warmed milk, salt & white pepper & 1/2 cup grated Parmesan.

1. For the canalons: Heat the oil over a medium heat & fry the onions & garlic for about 10 mins, lower the heat if they start to catch. Add the tomato & cook for another 5 mins. Add all the mince & livers, turn the heat up a bit & cook for 15 mins, stirring frequently. Mix the egg, breadcrumbs, thyme, nutmeg & salt & pepper. Stir into the meat mixture, remove from heat & allow to cool.

2. Preheat the oven to gm6. Spoon about a tablespoon (or a bit more), down the middle of the lasagne sheets (or fill the tubes), roll up & place seam side down in a buttered baking dish - quite squashed together so they don't unroll.

3. For the bechamel: Heat the butter over a low heat in a saucepan, add the flour & stir to form a thick roux, cook out for a couple of mins. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens (about 10 mins), add salt & pepper & the cheese & stir off the heat as the cheese melts. Pour over the canalons, sprinkle with more cheese & bake for 25 mins.

3 comments:

The Author said...

I've asked before and I'm asking again ....please can I come and live at your house?

Victoria said...

You're more than welcome any time. xx

The Author said...

have just spoken to Dan and she will be with me at the Christening...yaaayyy!! See you soon - I'm soooo excited!!!