Tuesday 30 December 2008

AMELIA'S 1ST CHRISTMAS

It seems ages ago, but 5 days ago was Christmas.... & Amelia's 1st Christmas. It was great! As usual, after much hype, Alice was sooo excited, she didn't wake up until nearly 8am. We went downstairs & discovered that "he'd been"! Poor old Father Christmas must have spent most of the night at our house, unloading a ridiculous amount of presents for both girls. Alice set about opening & Amelia finally woke up - she seemed to know that something was different & enjoyed eating gift tags & bows. They had some really great presents, so thank you to all concerned.

Then came the turn of the lunch, & my 1st Christmas lunch - I'd previously cooked turkey one Easter, but never for Christmas day. A couple of months ago I'd got 'Nigella Christmas' & as she is my true inspiration to anything culinary (a Goddess!), I stuck to quite a few of her recipes & to her timing chart & I have to say that it was the best Christmas lunch I've ever had. It was completely stress free - so I still don't understand what all the fuss is about.

I had brined the turkey the day before, to make it super juicy - I made allspice gravy, perfect bread sauce & the most fantastic gingerbread stuffing mmmm! I did however stick to my own vegetables & my gorgeous Guinness Christmas pudding - well, you can't copy everything from the Master -tips & pointers are all one needs.

Joining the Briddon's Christmas were, Mum, Joyce, Eric & Dianne - David didn't make it as he had "the bug" - but he did pop round to collect a plated up meal. He probably enjoyed his peace & quiet more than anything anyway.

So now thoughts are to next year & Christmas here again, but with my lot this time.

1 comment:

Christian Briddon said...

It was indeed the best Christmas lunch ever!