Sunday 16 March 2008

FORMULA FOOD - ROUND 1

AUSTRALIA = KANGAROO

We have just eaten our kangaroo stroganoff, which was actually very nice. The meat in its raw state looked like a large piece of liver. After cooking it was very lean & tasted a bit beefy & the texture was that of liver.
Conclusion - surprisingly nice, very low fat too. Would I buy it again? - Probably not!

Here's the recipe:
1tbsp rapeseed oil, 1 sliced onion, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1lb kangaroo steak (I used rump) cut into thin strips, 200g sliced mushrooms, 1tsp paprika, 1tbsp Lea & Perrins, 2 tbsp brandy, 300ml stock, 100g creme fraiche, salt & pepper.

1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion & garlic, reduce heat & cook gently for 5 mins to soften the onion. Turn heat back up & add the kangaroo meat, stir fry for 5 mins until sealed on all sides.

2.Add the mushrooms, paprika, Lea & Perrins & brandy & cook stirring for 2 mins. Add the stock, bring to boil, reduce heat & simmer for 20 mins - stirring now & then.

3.Add the creme fraiche & season. Heat through, but don't allow to boil - as sauce may separate. We had it with rice.

3 comments:

Tony Ruscoe said...

Lea and Perrins? Traitor! You should've used Henderson's Relish!

David Callaghan said...

Sounds tasty!

...

Watch me wallabys feed mate.
Watch me wallabys feed.
They're a dangerous breed mate.
So watch me wallabys feed.

Altogether now!

Tie me kangaroo down sport,
tie me kangaroo down.
Tie me kangaroo down sport,
tie me kangaroo down.

Victoria said...

That's going to be in my head for ages now!