Sunday 12 October 2008

FORMULA FOOD - ROUND 16

JAPAN = SUSHI

This isn't cooking at all, it's just creative play! I so understand why sushi chefs are trained for years. It's very fiddly, mainly because the rice is so sticky - even with wet hands. It's also quite time consuming - but worth it we thought.
Conclusion: Impressive looking & tasty but you need to be patient.
Would I make it again? Yes, it would be a good dinner party starter for an Oriental feast!

Sushi:
200g sushi rice, 4tbsp rice wine vinegar, 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp salt, fine strips of raw fish (I used tuna & salmon & I poached some tiger prawns in boiling water), a couple of inches of cucumber cut into batons, wasabi paste & a packet of nori seaweed sheets.

Soy & Sesame Dipping Sauce:
1/2tsp sesame seeds, 1tbsp brown sugar, 3tbsp soy sauce & 2 tbsp sherry.

1. Mix together the vinegar, salt & sugar & leave to one side to allow everything to dissolve. Cook the rice according to pack instructions. As soon as its ready, stir in the vinegar mixture & leave to go cold.

2. Place half a sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat (Waitrose £1.89), with wet hands spread a couple of tablespoons of rice over the sheet, smear over a tiny bit of wasabi (I think I used a bit too much & our brains bled!) & top with a line of fish or cucumber. Tightly roll up in the rolling mat, trim the edges & cut into pieces.

3. Repeat using your own creative flair. I also shaped some rice in my hands & lay a prawn or a slice of fish on top.

4. To make the dipping sauce simply mix all the ingredients together & serve in little ramekin dishes along side your sushi.

2 comments:

The Author said...

I have said it before and I'll say it again - I am coming to live at your house :)

Victoria said...

You're always welcome! You can share a room with your God-daughter!