Wednesday 29 October 2008

GOBBLE GOBBLE

Today, Alice, Amelia, Mum & I have been to see & order our Christmas Turkey (did I mention I am doing Christmas..!). We are getting it from Hangram Lane Farm in Mayfield Valley (Sheffield). Every year we drive past their massive straw turkey & this year (as we're not at Christian's Mum's) we can actually buy one!!

The massive straw turkey means that they are Kellys Turkeys, who supply hundreds of places including Fortnum & Mason. Hangram Lane Farm get them from Kellys as chicks & rear them, slaughter & dress them themselves, which is why I wanted to go & have a look at them & where & how they are reared. Unfortunately they aren't free range - this is because apparently they would either be eaten by foxes or would starve as they wouldn't be able to feed in these temperatures. So they are barn reared. The barns were very spacious & open at 1 end & they had things to look at, peck at, perch on & the like. They even have an injured pen! because turkeys will peck at anything that is red, so if a bird gets injured the others will just peck at it & kill it. I was very impressed by what we saw & feel that the birds will be happy - well happy until neck wringing day!

I am also making the Christmas pudding tomorrow & I made my mincemeat & cake last week, so I have to say that plans are already on their way. I love Christmas & this year will be the best ever!

1 comment:

The Author said...

I wish you were my Mum - apart from the fact that that would make you 70 years old :)