Thursday 27 September 2007

THE URINE SAMPLE

I have been to see the midwife again today for a 24 week check up. All is going well. I briefly heard the heartbeat, as soon as we could hear it, the little minx turned round and all was lost! She couldn't find it again as the baby wouldn't keep still! Quite the story of this little wriggler.

Each time you visit the midwife you have to take a urine sample, this is just to check protein levels and make sure pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure, hospital stay, quite dangerous, not good) isn't starting - it isn't. Now normally, as any girl will confirm, weeing into a pot with a 2cm diameter is quite do-able - squatting, looking and bladder control is all that is needed. However, with a solid 44 inch stomach (if I stand up straight with one foot in front of the other & look down, I can no longer see either foot!) looking is no longer possible! So unfortunately at 6:30 this morning, I just held the pot there and hoped it would fill - inevitably pissing all over my hand, charming!

There really is no dignity in pregnancy or child birth!!

2 comments:

The Author said...

Poor Victoria!!! Couldn't you wear some rubber gloves? I remember doing all these pregnancy things - and I distinctly remember not being able to get any wee in the pot at all!!!

David Callaghan said...

Practice makes perfect... tee hee

Maybe paint a target on the floor of the bathroom next time so you can judge accuracy