Monday 22 October 2007

CHUNKY CHILLI BEAN SOUP

We've just come home, cold and hungry and I've just made this soup which is gorgeous. As it's that time of year for "winter warmer" food I thought I would share it.

1 tbsp oil (I used rapeseed)
1 chopped onion
3 diced carrots
1 diced red pepper
2 chopped cloves garlic
1 chopped red chilli (I used 1 from Philli the Chilli - seeds and all!)
1 tsp cumin seeds
400g can kidney beans - rinsed
500g passata
1 pint stock - chicken or veg.
1 tbsp brown sugar, salt & pepper

Fry the onion in the oil for 5 mins, then add the carrots, red pepper & garlic & fry for another 3 mins. Add the chilli & cumin & stir for 1 min.
Add the kidney beans, passata, stock, sugar, salt & pepper & bring to the boil.
Simmer uncovered for 25-30 mins until thickened.

It's from a pregnancy book, so it's good for you and low fat but you wouldn't know!

No comments: