Thursday 18 October 2007

A DENTAL RANT

My nephew Joseph, went to the dentist yesterday - although it's a private dentist, children (he's 13 next month) still get free/ NHS work done. He found out that he needs a brace, nothing wrong with that, we thought he would anyway. But - and here's the crappy bit - they will put him on the NHS waiting list for about 16 months, then he has to wear it for about 18 months ( the poor sod would be turned 16 before it comes off!) OR my Mum can pay £1500 and he can have it more or less straight away! That's disgusting, obviously Mum's paying so it can be doing it's job straight away, but why should she have to? It's supposed to be free treatment to the same standard as private. There's little wonder people have started doing DIY dental treatment.....

1 comment:

The Author said...

Don't get me started on the NHS / Private debate. Whenever I go to a hospital I get really annoyed by the way everything is done. If they had to show some kind of profit, or account for their results v spend they would all get the sack!!!! And it's NOT FREE. You have paid in thousands with your National Insurance over the years. Imagine if that money had been going into a BUPA account - I'd have enough to pay for 17 facelifts and a heart and lung transplant. And nowadays they seem to be struggling to even keep hospitals clean. Dan had to wait 18 months for a NHS brace, but it did the trick and now her teeth are straight. I've just read what I've written and it sounds a bit ranty - but hey, The NHS makes me feel ranty!!!!