Wednesday 17 October 2007

SLAPPED CHEEK SYNDROME

It appears that Alice may have "slapped cheek syndrome", it's a disease that sounds worse than it really is. The symptoms are a red rash on one cheek ( hence the name, she looks like she's had a backhander - she hasn't - honestly!), a fever and sometimes swollen joints. It was pointed out to me today by the teachers at pre-school, I'd never heard of it. It hasn't been confirmed yet though, I will have to do battle with the dragons at the doctors in the morning to get an appointment. There isn't any cure, it's a bit like a cold. It's also highly contagious 4 - 20 days before the rash appears - ooops, any damage will already be done! Apparently 90% of us will have had it as children and are therefore immune for life.

The main problem is pregnant women, 20 weeks or earlier. It can cause red blood cells to stop producing in unborn babies if the mother isn't immune. As we have 3 friends under 20 weeks pregnant, that Alice has been in contact with, I feel terribly guilty and must find out if she is diseased or not! I'll let you know.

2 comments:

The Author said...

now we know that you beat her :)

Christian Briddon said...

I try to beat her but she just looks at me with those big blue eyes and I can't.

She's like Puss In Boots from Shrek I tell you!!!!