Tuesday 30 September 2008

AMELIA'S CHRISTENING

Sunday 28th September was Amelia's Christening & it was a really lovely day. When I opened the curtains on Sunday morning, my heart sank a little - Saturday had been such a sunny day & now it was raining :( Never mind, its not actually about the weather, so we carried on with our long list of last minute things to do. I had to finish the children's sandwiches amongst other things & get to Christian's Mums for about 8:30 so I could finish my chocolate pavlovas off - I didn't fancy transporting the finished article - bit messy! We also had to take the cake that I had lovingly created over the past few months. As usual I had visions of dropping the bloody thing ( it weighed a tonne), but it made it in one piece & all was well. Christian also had to get Alice to my sister-in-laws so she could do her hair. Claire is brilliant at this -I would have probably just gone for bunches!

The church service started at 11am & was held at Dronfield Woodhouse Methodist Church - the same place we had Alice's 3 years ago. It was also Harvest Festival, I used to love this as a child. But unfortunately we didn't get to sing 'All Things Bright & Beautiful' I'm good at that! But we did have 'Great Is Thy Faithfulness' - which is one of Mum's favourites (& funeral choices!) so I knew she would be shedding a tear or two! The vicar is a really nice little man & made the service quiet humorous (don't know if he intended too), even though his other church had been broken into the night before (who does things like that?) - they had made a right mess all for an £800 projector. I personally enjoyed the old lady reading out the notices - she made me laugh a lot!
Amelia was an angel, all happy & gurgling. She smiled on cue to the vicar & was pulling his face about during her baptism -ahh, a crowd pleaser - she had Mum & Auntie Tricia in tears - we're such an emotional lot! Tracy & Tim (not a couple, even though some thought so) were fantastic Godparents - a good choice of mine & even Christian read his lines properly this time (he fluffed Alice's :)). Then during the rest of the service, Amelia slept on my shoulder, so everyone behind could see have cute she was.

Then at about 12:15, it was back to Christian's Mums for the party. I'd been planning, shopping & cooking for this part for weeks, so it was nice to finally enjoy all the work. The sun had been out for a while by now, so people could sit outside & the children could play in the garden, everything fit in to place. As you can imagine much fussing was needed to get all the food heated & ready, & this is when I stood on Alice's foot. Eeeww! I felt so bad, she had taken her shoes & socks off & I had changed into some lower heels - kitten heels & she was stood right behind me when I took a step back. I stood on her just above her toes, oh how she screamed, she had a perfectly round ring on her foot (which in now a bruise) - I felt so guilty but thankfully she's very forgiving & a pink wafer biscuit saved the day! Amelia was still being perfect & happily playing with Auntie Katie & Ben.

Then we had the food, which apparently went down rather well :) We had goulash, Thai green curry, vegetarian chilli, rice, new potatoes & salad. Followed by chocolate & raspberry pavlova (of course), lemon roulade, chocolate roulade, apple tart, plum pavlova, dairy-free carrot cake (gay) & strawberries. Not forgetting rather delicious Christening cake & all the booze you could drink - which wasn't much actually - it's now in our loft waiting for Christmas!

We all had a great time & it was lovely seeing all our friends from near & far. I would like to thank, Dianne & David for letting us take over their house - perfect setting, & Dianne again for all her help, Tracy & Tim for being brilliant Godparents, everyone for taking the trouble to come & all their lovely cards & gifts (I will be writing soon) & Dronfield Woodhouse Methodist Church for making the whole day possible. But mainly to Amelia, who is so lovely & happy, she didn't cry once all day - even when the Holy water was very cold - & she (as Alice did 3 years ago) showed off to everyone that I am the best mother in the world & good children aren't a gift - it's all about being a fantastic mother!!!

No comments: