Tuesday 9 September 2008

FORMULA FOOD - ROUND 13

BELGIUM = SALTIMBOCCA

Well all I can say is that I'm pleased I didn't have race tickets for last weekend. I would have been sat there, in my McLaren hat & t-shirt wondering where everyone else was - "I thought the Italian's like F1", I would have thought!!! Silly cow, everyone was in Spa! It wasn't until half way through the qualifying that the penny finally dropped. Yes I could have run to the fishmongers & bought some mussels for our 'Moules et frites' but I had already defrosted my veal! Never mind, we'll have them next week!
Conclusion: Really nice, especially the sauce.
Would I make it again? Probably not with veal, unless it becomes easier to get hold of, you could try it with chicken or pork though.

Saltimbocca:
4 veal escallops, 4 large sage leaves, 4 slices of parma ham, 60g butter, salt & pepper, half a glass of white wine.

1. Place a sage leaf on top of each escallop & then cover with a slice of parma ham & secure with a couple of cocktail sticks.

2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, over a medium heat. Season lightly & fry the Saltimbocca for a couple of mins on each side. Remove & place on warmed serving plates.

3. Pour the wine into the pan & turn the heat up high to gather up all the pan juices, then pour over the Saltimbocca.

We had them with chips & pepernato - just because I'm always looking for an excuse to make it! & it is Italian, I'm sure the Belgian's would love it!

2 comments:

Christian Briddon said...

You didn't mention that the chips were home made and rather healthy!!

I know it is a small point but I think it is important! :-)

The Author said...

Please can I come and live at your house?